Monday, September 8, 2008

About Us

About us. Well, most of you know us, but here's a little intro in case we haven't seen you in awhile. We are Kyle, Rama & Jaden, Bella and Mercedes (our two Whippets).

kyle
Photobucket

Kyle is a Young Life Associate Area Director for Portland YL West, which means he and his Area Director partner, Justin, build up volunteer leaders to go into the high school's (9 of them to be exact) on the west side of town and love on kids. The leaders go where the kids are (football games, dances, lunch, track meets), they show up to be there, to be a constant presence and to simply send the message that someone cares about them. When tough things go down in their lives, kids can turn to their YL leaders in confidence because the leaders have created a safe space for them to share their struggles and pain. Some leaders deal with everything from drug addictions to parent's divorcing to the latest shocker, a teacher sleeping with some of the female students. Kyle meets with these volunteers, makes sure they are taken care of, makes sure they aren't too stressed out with their own lives, many of them are college students themselves, and makes sure they have enough time for "their kids" and can deal with the hard stuff that does occur.

He also gets to run his own Club every week on Monday nights and visits the other Clubs at the other schools when he can and he takes kids to camp every Fall and Summer. Clubs are set up and run by kids and leaders alike, they are a safe place for kids to come, unwind, feel safe, and hear how much they are loved by their leaders and by God. Some kids never hear how much they are loved, this we know.

Kyle's own life was touched by Young Life when he was a Senior in high school. His YL Leader, Dean, showed up at his wrestling matches which always meant a lot to him. Dean never shied away from letting Kyle know he was cared for, how much God loved him and wanted to be a part of his life. Kyle made a choice during his Senior year one night when confronted with doing the same thing over and over again or making a change. He chose and his life was never the same. He chose God over partying, loneliness and booze. And, for almost decade after, he gave back to YL as a volunteer leader. Today he's on staff as an Associate Area Director and he's loving it. He does have to raise his own support every year and it doesn't pay as much as it does in real estate, which he almost ventured into, but he's happy and fulfilled. He invests in kid's lives, as well as leaders, and simply loves on them. What more could you ask for?

Summer Camp this summer at Washington Family Ranch (WFR):



rama
Photobucket

As for me, I get to be a mom right now. It was really tough for me at first, the whole stay-at-home mom thing, it just doesn't fit my personality to be honest, but I'm getting used to it. Through this time, though, I've learned some tremendous things about myself and I finally started to get into the swing of things, just in time for it to end! I'll be heading back to school in the Fall, which is right around the corner, to finish up a class and after that it's work and applying to Grad. school hopefully.

I'm excited for what the future holds. God has been taking me on this journey of embarking on and embracing the next chapter in my life and it has been more than exhilarating. I finally know what it is I want to do in this world and now it's just a matter of taking it step by step, day by day as He leads me down a path of fulfillment and purpose. I'm stoked.

My heart is fervent and relentless in its desire to eradicate social injustices globally. More specifically poverty in Africa and sex trafficking in India. These issues are morally wrong and should be abolished. I am not sure yet the path I will take to get there, but I know I must do something. I have been set on going to George Fox for their Marriage and Family Therapy program to become a Licensed Professional Counselor, but I often wonder...is there a better, more direct path to quenching my desire to help "the least of these" internationally? I am still journeying with God on this as He leads me each moment. For now, I will wait and listen and raise my son to the best of my ability and hope that one day, he too, will want to change the world.





















jaden
Photobucket

Jaden Arman Pfeiffer. What to say about this little man. He is incredible. He is observant, he loves to take in the smallest details of life. He is strong both physically and emotionally, sensitive, yet stubborn, playful, yet serious. He is so many things. His personality is multi-faceted and I love to watch it unfold every day. I have been told by others that he is unusual in that he is overly happy and content and is not much into crying, except when he is pain such as teething or when he's overly hungry or tired, and even still there's not much crying involved. This kid always has a smile on his face, he must get that from his dad (Smiley Kyley). He is smart beyond measure and it only takes him one or two tries to learn something new. He loves to give kisses. When he greets you he'll grab your face between his hands and bend his head inward with his mouth open and drooling to give you big kisses! He truly loves to stand at all times and hates being on his back, in fact, he has abs of steel because he is always lifting himself up trying to get off of his back and onto his feet, I kid you not. He's been taking steps with assistance since he was two months old and I'm tellin' you this kid wants to walk as soon as possible. He is a huge verbal communicator "talking" up a storm quite a bit throughout the day. When he wants up or wants to eat, he just looks at us intently and moves his mouth all over making all kinds of sounds trying so hard to tell us what he wants. He loves to bounce in his bouncer, and falls asleep bouncing on a regular basis, it is the most precious thing ever. He'll still be bouncing as his head bobs back and forth and his eyes close. He is exuberant and full of life and I am just so darned blessed to be a part of it!

We had a fabulous time while he was in the womb, I knew who he was then, just like I know him now. I knew he would be compassionate and sensitive, yet would be able to tell you what he wants when he wants it. I also thought he would be musical by the way he responded to the music I played for him. I took a piano class during my second and third trimester and when I would put some various relaxation music up to my belly through the headphones and he heard the piano, he would kick one of the foamy ear pieces on the headphones. I also knew he would be incredibly smart. We started this game with him when he was in his first trimester. Kyle would poke my belly with his finger and say, "One" and wait. He would poke it two times and say, "Two" and wait. Then a third, "Three" and wait. He would always wait for a response. One night when he was 5 months along, I woke up at three in the morning, Jaden was going crazy. He was alert and kicking all over the place. Kyle came over and felt my stomach and said, "Is that him!!" in disbelief. I told him it was, so he played the game with him. He pushed his finger into my stomach one time and said, "One," and waited. Jaden responded and kicked back one time. Then, he pushed two times and said, "Two," Jaden kicked back twice. Then a third time Kyle said, "Three," and sure enough Jaden kicked him back three times where his finger had been. I will never forget that night, such a great memory of my little son already wanting to learn and play inside the womb. He is an amazing and special kid. I wrote a story for him before he was born. I'll have to post that soon. You have to meet him if you haven't already, his happiness is contagious!

bella & mercedes
Photobucket

What can I say about Bella and Mercedes. They're dogs. They are Whippets and are classified in the sight hound family. They are nicknamed "mini Greyhounds" because they are smaller and can run up to 35 mph, which basically means they're show-offs at the park. Bella came from my mom's litter of pups. Bella's parents are Oliver and Zoey, two very beautiful and fantastic Whippets. I had the privilege of witnessing her birth, she was the first one out, the smallest of the litter and came out with a broken tail because Zoey yelped and jumped right as she was on her way out. She was my child before I had my actual child. (I know, I know, it's crazy, but true!) I wanted to get rid of her many times while she was young because I didn't think I could get through one more crying night or one more pee stain on the hardwoods and she was so darn clingy! Good thing I had her, in so many ways she prepped me for Jaden, she really did. She taught me commitment and how to love something unconditionally. She had a bit of anxiety (the clingy thing again) so we got her a playmate, Mercedes, the following year. I'm not bonded with Bella like I am Mercedes, she's more Kyle's dog and I made sure of that. Whippets tend to bond with one human, so it was good to have each of them bond to one of us. She's sweet and not as aggressive as Bella, but she does get scared easily. She is a bit shy and demure, but has a ton of exuberance to go with it!

They are both good with Jaden. I think Bella loves Jaden, she does this thing when we're on walks and checks in with me from time to time by turning toward me while we're walking and touching her nose against my leg, now she walks by Jaden's jogging stroller and touches it to check in with him. So cute!! We love them both and hope they both can continue to make the adjustment with Jaden. So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails